Success and failure of business hinges on the quality of our relationships both internally and externally. The quality of our relationships hinge completely on our capacity to effectively communicate our message. This course takes you through a variety of communication skills both written and oral that will help you become an awesome communicator both personally and professionally.
Business Management Pathway
Certificate in Business Communication Skills
$995.00 GST Included
Understanding how to market a small business or any business is critical to its success. Knowing who your customer is, where they are and why they would buy your product or service are some of the fundamentals of building a marketing plan.
The core sections to this module are:
- Develop marketing strategies
- Determine a marketing mix for the business
- Implement marketing strategies
- Monitor and improve marketing performance
This module covers the following key elements of learning:
- Determine objectives of the business plan, including marketing activity focus
- Evaluate customer base
- Understand what is ethically and culturally appropriate
- Determine a marketing mix according to market and business needs
- Determine marketing strategies, including briefing appropriate personnel on their responsibilities
- Monitor and evaluate activities and performance, and correct performance gaps
- Consult and communicate effectively with relevant people
- Research and monitor ongoing changes and improvements
Managing the finances are a ‘must-know’ for the business owner or manager to ensure its ongoing success. Core to the business are key reports – Profit and Loss, Balance Sheets, Cash Flow and Budgets. Think of them like a doctor’s report – you don’t just want your doctor to take your blood pressure to check if your healthy – you want a full report on your bloods, urine, heart and respiratory functions etc.
The combination of the above financial reports lets you know how healthy your business is and identify possible issues or areas to improve.
The core sections to this module are:
- Implement financial plan
- Monitor financial performance
This module covers the following key elements of learning:
- discuss benchmarking
- explain financial decision-making relevant to the business
- summarise significant financial indicators
- outline purposes of financial reports
- clarify preparation and interpretation of budget/actual reports
- identify principles for preparing balance sheets and their interpretation
- outline debt collection procedures or strategies
- characterise principles for preparing profit and loss statements and their interpretation
- discuss stock records and stock control relevant to the business.
Becoming a more likeable boss can sometimes be a difficult process to describe. It can be one characteristic that facilitates great communication and great employee relationships. It can be the special way that you show confidence in your team. These and other events can become more easily managed with this great module.
With our How to Become a More Likeable Boss module, you will begin to see how important it is to develop better managerial skills. By managing and looking at the way people interact and seeing things in a new light, you will improve on almost every aspect of your career.
- Understand how to develop leadership qualities
- Know how to delegate effectively
- Choose inspirational and engaging tasks for yourself and others
- Use wisdom and understanding to lead others
- Identify the roles of your team
- Learn how to trust others and earn their trust.
The loss of valuable leadership can cripple a company. Business succession planning is essentially preparing successors to take on vital leadership roles when the need arises. It is essential to the long-term survival of a company. Every company should have a form of succession planning in its portfolio as it is not the expected absences that can cripple a company, but the unexpected ones.
Whether it is preparing someone to take over a position of leadership in a corporation, or the sole proprietor of a small business, the Business Succession Planning will teach you the difference between succession planning and mere replacement planning. How you prepare people to take on the responsibilities of leadership so that the company thrives in the transition is just as important as picking the right person for the job.
- Define business succession planning and its role in your company.
- Lay the groundwork to develop a succession plan.
- The importance of mentorship.
- Define and use a SWOT analysis to set goals.
- Create a plan, assign roles, and execute the plan.
- Communicate to develop support and manage change.
- Anticipate obstacles, and evaluate and adapt goals and plans.
- Characterize success.
Writing and communication skills have degraded with more and more people communicating through email and instant messaging. Developing writing skills is still important in the business world as is creating proper documents (such as proposals, reports, and agendas) giving you that extra edge in the workplace.
The Collaborative Business Writing module will give you the knowledge and skills to collaborate with others and create that important document. You will touch on the types of collaboration, and ways to improve them through certain tools and processes. These basic skills will provide you with that extra benefit in the business world that a lot of people are losing.
- Define collaborative business writing
- Know different types of collaborative writing
- Know how to collaborate with team members
- Learn methods of handling conflict in writing
- Build collaborative writing teams
For the better part of every day, we are communicating to and with others. Whether it’s the speech you deliver in the boardroom, the level of attention you give your spouse when they are talking to you, or the look you give the cat, it all means something.
The Communication Strategies module will help you understand the different methods of communication and how to make the most of each of them. These strategies will provide a great benefit for any organization and its employees. They will trickle down throughout the organization and positively impact everyone involved
- Understand what communication is
- Identify ways that communication can happen
- Identify barriers to communication and how to overcome them
- Develop their non-verbal and paraverbal communication skills
- Use the STAR method to speak on the spot
- Listen actively and effectively
- Ask good questions
- Use appreciative inquiry as a communication tool
- Adeptly converse and network with others
- Identify and mitigate precipitating factors
- Establish common ground with others
- Use “I” messages
Wherever two or more people come together, there is bound to be conflict. This course will give you a seven-step conflict resolution process that you can use and modify to resolve conflict disputes of any size. You will also be provided a set of skills in solution building and finding common ground.
In the Conflict Resolution module, you will learn crucial conflict management skills, including dealing with anger and using the Agreement Frame. Dealing with conflict is important for every organization no matter what the size. If it is left unchecked or not resolved it can lead to lost production, absences, attrition, and even law suits.
- Understand what conflict and conflict resolution mean
- Understand all six phases of the conflict resolution process
- Understand the five main styles of conflict resolution
- Be able to adapt the process for all types of conflicts
- Be able to break out parts of the process and use those tools to prevent conflict
- Be able to use basic communication tools, such as the agreement frame and open questions
- Be able to use basic anger and stress management techniques
Delivering Constructive Criticism is one of the most challenging things for anyone. Through this module you will gain valuable knowledge and skills that will assist you with this challenging task. When an employee commits an action that requires feedback or criticism it needs to be handled in a very specific way.
Constructive Criticism if done correctly will provide great benefits to your organization. It provides the ability for management to nullify problematic behaviors and develop well rounded and productive employees. Constructive feedback shows an employee that management cares about them and will invest time and effort into their careers
- Understand when feedback should take place
- Learn how to prepare and plan to deliver constructive criticism
- Determine the appropriate atmosphere in which it should take place
- Identify the proper steps to be taken during the session
- Know how emotions and certain actions can negatively impact the effects of the session
- Recognize the importance of setting goals and the method used to set them
- Uncover the best techniques for following up with the employee after the session
Would you to be your own boss? Have you ever dreamed of starting your own business? Don’t know what to do about your great business idea? If you have ever thought about these situations then you need our entrepreneurship module.
Let our Entrepreneurship module help you achieve your dreams. Being an entrepreneur can be full of risks. These risks are minimized through drafting a business plan, knowing your competition, and successful marketing. All these and more can be found in our Entrepreneurship module.
- Understand how to start a business
- Develop a business plan
- Get financing for your business
- Hire and train employees
- Run your business
- Grow your business
They say that leaders are born, not made. While it is true that some people are born leaders, some leaders are born in the midst of adversity. Often, simple people who have never had a leadership role will stand up and take the lead when a situation they care about requires it. A simple example is parenting. When a child arrives, many parents discover leadership abilities they never knew existed in order to guide and protect their offspring.
Once you learn the techniques of true Leadership And Influence, you will be able to build the confidence it takes to take the lead. The more experience you have acting as a genuine leader, the easier it will be for you. It is never easy to take the lead, as you will need to make decisions and face challenges, but it can become natural and rewarding.
- Define “leadership”
- Explain the Great Man Theory
- Explain the Trait Theory
- Understand Transformational Leadership
- Understand the people you lead and how to adapt your leadership styles
- Explain leading by Directing
- Explain leading by Participating
- Explain leading by Delegating
- Kouzes and Posner
- Conduct a personal inventory
- Create an action plan
- Establish personal goals
Mobile learning, or mLearning, is defined as the delivery of learning, education or training on mobile devices, such as mobile phones, tablets, laptops or PDAs. MLearning allows training and support to be taken anywhere, making it flexible and convenient for companies to use.
With our mLearning module, you will begin to see the importance and usefulness of mLearning in any organization. By absorbing the ins and outs of utilizing mLearning, you will possess the skills needed to take advantage of this new technology, in order to educate employees and clients more efficiently.
- Know the meaning of mLearning
- Recognize different methods of mLearning
- Know the benefits/challenges of using mLearning
- Train other employees regarding mLearning
- Form an mLearning plan
Although people often think of boardrooms, suits, and million dollar deals when they hear the word negotiation, the truth is that we negotiate all the time. Through this module you will be able to understand the basic types of negotiations, the phases of negotiations, and the skills needed for successful negotiating.
The Negotiation Skills module will give you a sense of understanding your opponent and have the confidence to not settle for less than you feel is fair. You will learn that an atmosphere of respect is essential, as uneven negotiations could lead to problems in the future.
- Understand the basic types of negotiations, the phases of negotiations, and the skills needed for successful negotiating
- Understand and apply basic negotiating concepts: WATNA, BATNA, WAP, and ZOPA
- Lay the groundwork for negotiation
- Identify what information to share and what to keep to yourself
- Understand basic bargaining techniques
- Apply strategies for identifying mutual gain
- Understand how to reach consensus and set the terms of agreement
- Deal with personal attacks and other difficult issues
- Use the negotiating process to solve everyday problems
- Negotiate on behalf of someone else
Networking has become a crucial part of the world today. Most people are aware of external networking and primarily focus on that. However, it is also important to pay extra attention to internal networking, or networking within the company. To be truly effective, internal networking must be utilized throughout the company.
With The Power of Networking (Within the Company) module you will learn how internal networking is changing the workforce. Through this module you will gain a new perspective on networking, and what benefits can come from fully utilizing and making connections with internal networking.
- Define networking
- Understand networking principles
- Use networking tools
- Avoid common mistakes
- Understand how to build relationships
- Manage time successfully
Networking – according to Merriam Webster is “the exchange of information or services among individuals, groups, or institutions; specifically: the cultivation of productive relationships for employment or business”. These and other events can become more easily managed with this great workshop.
With our Power of Networking (Outside the Company) Course, you will begin to see how important it is to develop a core set of networking skills. By managing and looking at the way people interact and seeing things in a new light, you will improve on almost every aspect of your networking strategy.
- Identify and avoid obstacles
- Implement networking principles
- Use online tools
- Prioritize contacts
- Manage networks effectively
A good proposal doesn’t just outline what product or service you would like to create or deliver. It does so in such a way that the reader feels it is the only logical choice.
In this module, you will explore the proposal writing process including the most common types of proposals. The Proposal Writing module will take you through each step of the proposal writing process, from understanding why you are writing a proposal; to gathering information; to writing and proofreading; through to creating the final, professional product.
- Identify the purpose of a proposal
- Identify different types of proposals
- Identify and perform the steps in the proposal writing process
- Perform a needs analysis and write a goal statement
- Prepare a proposal outline
- Improve their writing skills with a variety of techniques
- Use appropriate resources and ghosting to build a strong case
- Add illustrations to their proposal
- Proofread and edit their proposal
- Add the finishing touches to create a professional-looking final product
We are being flooded with Social Media invitations and updates. Web-based communication icons like Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and LinkedIn are dominating the way we interact with each other. People are feeling the need to be updated at all times. It has become a time eater, and businesses are quickly becoming aware of the drain it can have on productivity. People love to share, but they need to know what is suitable to share and what should not be sent out.
Understanding Social Media is about communicating the right way. We are beginning to communicate more through electronic means than face to face. Talking on a phone has been replaced more and more with SMS (texting.) Social media channels are becoming the main form of communication and through this module you will realize how Social media and the Workplace can work together.
- Learn the meaning of social media
- Learn different ways social media is used and altered
- Build and maintain a social media policy
- Keeping your social media secure
- Establishing rules for the social media the company posts
- Discover the benefits and pitfalls of using social media
Start the journey
Now that you have found what you have been looking for the next bit is simple – Click ENROL NOW and lets get you started on your new pathway.